Article by Dominika Zielińska
WAYS OF NO-FAT COOKING
Dietary modification that is beneficial for health consists mainly in reducing the amount of fat. In addition to choosing low-fat products, we are able to reduce the consumption of fat used in cooking. This article shows how to prepare meals with reduced fat.
- Steam cooking is fast, fat-free and minimizes nutrient losses. It is the most convenient method of preparing fish and vegetable dishes.
- Slow cooking is another convenient way to prepare a meal, but it causes greater loss of nutrients.
- Short boiling in boiling water is an indirect method between slow cooking and steaming. It is often used to prepare fish dishes. The fish or other product is put in a container with water, covered and boiled. This method requires the addition of a small amount of fat and saves most of the nutrients.
- Frying or roasting without fat can be used to prepare meat and poultry dishes. Do not add oil or other fat during this process. The meat should be placed on a metal “basket” so that the fat drips from it.
- Grilling is a low-fat method, suitable for making fillets of meat, poultry, fish and some vegetables, such as tomatoes and peppers. Avoid grilling over an open fire, because there is a connection between this way of baking meat and the risk of developing some cancers.
AVOID SHALLOW OR DEEP FRYING
Each type of frying causes an increase in the amount of fat in the product, so frying should be avoided. Not only does the fat cover its surface, it penetrates deeper. What’s more, heating oil to high temperatures can change its properties, causing the formation of harmful ingredients. Stir frying requires a small amount of fat, so it is healthier.
USING NON-STICK DISHES
When you have to fry something, use a pan or saucepan with a bottom to which the food does not stick. Thanks to this, you will reduce the amount of added fat. Remove the fried product from the pan when it’s ready.
REMOVING SKIN FROM POULTRY
Remove skin from poultry before cooking. Also remove as much as possible of the visible fat before cooking dishes such as roast or goulash, so that the least amount of fat is found on the plate. After cooking, cool the food and remove the coagulated fat from its surface, and then re-heat it and serve it on the table.
USE LOW FAT MILK PRODUCTS
Full-fat milk can be easily replaced with skimmed or semi-skimmed milk. Cream can be mixed with natural yogurt or replace it completely with low-fat yogurt. You can also use lean cheese instead of full fat in various dishes. Even if you need to use some fat, such as butter, its amount can be reduced by 1/3 without harming the taste of the dish.
ADDING FAT TO MEALS WHEN THEY ARE READY
For vegetables and salads, it is best to add the fat raw, i.e. make the sauce with a tablespoon of a good vegetable oil or olive oil at the end.